Deep breath readers, it’s another Ancient Egyptian adventure-themed slot. You would think these would have been done to death by now, but game designers keep churning them out at breakneck speed. This version from Quickspin is feature-packed, works on a 7 x 7 grid and offers players the opportunity to walk away with a top prize of over 13,000 x their bet. But what on earth is a glyph? And is this slot worth putting up with more Indiana Jones-style shenanigans? Read on to find out.
GOLDEN GLYPH - WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- The slot offers decent pay outs during the base game
- There are multiple features to keep things entertaining
- The game design and theme are beautifully made
- Golden Glyph slot is available to players in Canada
- The game design and theme are beautifully made
- The game’s maximum prize is almost impossible to achieve
- Gameplay can initially seem a little complicated
|REELS AND PAYLINES||7 reels, Cluster Pays|
|GAME FEATURES||Tumble Mechanics, Multiple Power Ups, Power Wilds, Free Spins|
|RANGE OF BET||0.2 to 100.00|
|MAXIMUM WIN||13,185 x your bet|
Play Golden Glyph At These Recommended Casinos
Golden Glyph - Theme and Background
Set on the well-worn landscapes of Ancient Egypt, players can expect warm colors and lots of sand. But if you’re wondering what on earth a glyph is, allow me to shed some light. Short for ‘hieroglyph’ this is a symbol forming part of a larger group of symbols that were used as the basis of the writing system in Ancient Egypt. So, as you can imagine, these symbols from many eons ago make up some of the symbols that spill across the grid.
There are 7 symbols in total, 3 of which are Wilds. These Wilds are crafted of the images of Cleopatra, a Pharaoh and the falcon-headed god Horus. The 4 hieroglyphs stand in as the low value symbols.
Golden Glyph - Gameplay
Quickspin have pimped out the 7 x 7 grid with a very generous selection of special features. These don’t generate equal value, and some are undeniably superior. I’ve attempted to break down each one into as simple terms as possible.
This is essentially the way that the slot functions and awards wins. It’s a trademarked feature that’s been rolled out across other slots before Golden Glyph. The way it works is very similar to cascading or cluster reels in that any symbols that are part of a winning cluster are removed. The empty positions are then filled with new symbols that fall from the top of the grid, giving the player the chance for a new win on the same spin.
You’ll come across this feature fairly often because it works in both the base game and during the free spins game. After the winning symbol clusters have been removed and before the tumbling, a Power Wild will fill one of the empty positions on the reels. If it forms a part of a winning cluster then it will trigger a Power Up (see below). If the Free Spin Bonus Power-Up is activated, then all unused Power Wilds will be turned into Wilds.
At the start of each spin, 5 Power Ups are chosen at random and displayed on the golden wheel to the left of the grid. The fifth Power Up will always be the Free Spins Power Up. Achieve a Power Wild win and you’ll gain access to 1 of 4 Power-Ups. Here’s what each one can do:
- The Golden Scarab Power Up will send a stream of Wilds across the reels. These can be anything from 4 to 10 and are randomly placed across the grid.
- The Eye of Horus Power Up will obliterate low paying symbols. It will select one at random and remove all instances of it from the reels. Each removed symbol will award 1/20 of your current bet.
- The Blaze of Fire Power Up will turn up in a random spot on the reels and remove all normal symbols in both the row and the column. Each removed symbol will award 1/20 of your current bet. The only exceptions are the Wild, Power Wild, and Golden Glyph Wild symbols, which won’t be removed by the Blaze of Fire.
- The Free Spins Bonus Power Up will reward the player with 9 free spins. It’s also possible to unlock further spins if you manage to trigger this power up again during the free spins. This power up is also they player’s opportunity to trigger the slot’s biggest win. That’s because during the first free spin, the Golden Glyph Wild symbol will appear in a random spot. If you manage to level up the Golden Glyph Wild all the way to 99 x then there’s the possibility of unlocking the slot’s massive 13,000 x your bet. The best part is that the Golden Glyph Wild is carried over to all the remaining free spins. With each free spin, the Golden Glyph Wild will move randomly to a new location on the reels.
Golden Glyph - Payouts and Wagering Limits
The slot runs on Medium variance, and players can make their wagers starting as low as C$0.20 or, if they’re feeling daring, push things to the upper limit of C$100 per spin. In return, the slot offers players a decent RTP of 96.19% and a wide range of payout possibilities. In terms of symbol values players should hope to land as many of the Pharaoh, Cleopatra, and Horus symbols as possible as these pay out the most. The Horus symbol will award players a very pleasing 250 x for a cluster of 15+ symbols. The 4 Egyptian hieroglyphs make up the lower end of the paytable and offer a range of values starting from 0.1 x and ending at 18 x.
The slot’s maximum win of 13,185 x your stake might seem irresistibly enticing, but before you get too caught up I should probably let you know that the chances of triggering it are approximately 1 in 1 billion. In better news, the other considerable wins are far more attainable. Golden Glyph offers players a Big Win of 15 x, a Super Win of 40 x, a Mega Win of 70 x, and an Epic Win of 100 x. These range from 1 in 113 spins to 1 in 1,139 spins, so things feel a lot less far-fetched from this aspect.
Golden Glyph - Final Verdict
I wasn’t excited to trial this slot because I’d had already experienced enough visits to Ancient Egypt to last me a lifetime. But I was proved to have been overly hasty in my reaction because Golden Glyph does bring more than just a pretty theme to the table. The entire slot rests on the interplay between its numerous special features, which trigger one another to tempt the player with a very profitable chain of events. It may be virtually impossible to achieve the 13,000 x plus win, but there are plenty of other big wins possible in between.